Sunday 2 May 2010

Cake Decorating With Fondant


I am no baker.That is i might by no means put myself forward as a cook at all, unless you'd call creating spaghetti and browning minced-meat for bolognaise sauce culinary achievements.However, there is one thing about special occasions that brings the frustrated pastry chef out of me and sends me galoping into the kitchen, my head jammed with intricate cake decorating concepts.
It all started when my wife was approaching her thirtieth birthday. i made a decision to mark her entry into her fourth decade by baking her a tremendous cake.I imagined her admiring gaze as she watched me pull this monstrous cake from the hidden depths of our under-used oven.By this time i was so keen to urge started that I had to force myself to settle down, sit down, and find my concepts down on paper.I began to sketch a couple of decorating schemes in red pen on the back of an envelope in time-honoured tradition, and eventually decided on an enormous triple-layer chocolate gateau with a vast suspension bridge spanning a river of blue icing and a bit plastic model of our family car perched in safety on prime.
I'd like to be able to say that my cake decorating concepts typically kick off as beautiful as I imagine them, but I'm just not so good at being economical with the reality.In this case, the stunning triple-layer chocolate suspension bridge cake decorating fantasy turned out as three limp, amorphous layers, crisp at the sides and doughy in the middle, featuring a pleasant San Andreas fault running through the centre, as if there had been an earthquake in the oven.It tasted alight but it gave the impression of one thing that had been salvaged from its own non-public earthquake.